Monday, December 4, 2006

Where I live.

To give some context to my life, I've said the following things today to my colleagues in the office or to my students in the classroom:

"Imagine you're me. You doing it? If you're not feeling a sense of apathy and boredom, you're not doing it right."
"I'm ethical enough to not-kill most of my subjects."
"Look, we're not here to argue the lickability of your balls."
"They may have been YOUR students, but they gave ME the dog."

This is not meant to be a list of random shit inside joke quotes. In all cases were there actual academic/professional propositions being articulated. It's just an unfortunate circumstance of working in a place with no proper social rules or order.

This is the same place where someone reported having seen a naked woman in the bathroom at 4am. I think I was actually here at the time, but the details are limited. I also ask the question: how does one "see" someone naked in the bathroom, apparently taking a shower. The way I see it, there are really only two ways: 1. you walk in on them (with the bathroom door unlocked), or 2. you see them through the window. In either case, I'm not so sure it's really inappropriate. At any rate, it caused enough of a stir to force them to re-key our building... without giving us keys. How's that for a rainy fucking Friday? This naked woman, incidentally, almost earned a spot along with the mysterious Chupacabra as another of our office mates -- complete with office hours. But considering those in charge haven't realized that they've got the wrong building, we're trying to keep the jokes between ourselves.

This is the same place where the first thing you see when walking up the stairs is a six-foot Spiderman nailed to the wall.
This is the same place where Kiss is followed by "One Night in Bangkok" on the stereo.
This is the same place where the printer is always out of toner, no one knows the password to check the voicemail, and only two people can be connected to the Internet at any given time.

This is the Anomie Lab. I live here.

No comments: