Monday, December 11, 2006

In front of an audience

Part of what I do involves being in front of an audience. Teaching is a lot like performing stand-up. People paid a lot of money to hear you talk, you do the same thing over and over, your material sucks, and the audience is probably drunk.



Well, we get heckled, too. But we don't generally hear "you suck" to our faces. I'd think it quite refreshing. We don't generally get to drink beer while we act. I'd think it quite refreshing. We don't generally get to tell our students that we'd like to wrap our cocks around their necks and start them like fucking lawn mowers. I'd think it...

But the most refreshing part is the fact that we do it for a reason. The same reason Joe Rogan still does it even after Fear Factor. The same reason Jerry does it after Seinfeld. The same reason they all do it.

The chicks.

Or, perhaps, there is an alternative. We may think that someone wants... nay, needs to hear what we have to say. Somehow, our thoughts may inspire someone. A bad day ends with one kind or funny word. A brief moment of enlightenment when someone acknowledges that they are, in fact, correct -- when their whole life people have been telling them they're wrong. Well, my friends, to quote Jack Terricloth, "The world is a stage dive." Although it may not be yours, what are you going to do in front on an audience? I just hope they catch me.

By the way, I don't think I love my job.

No comments: