Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Continuation and termination


The Internal Review Board uses the same form (the IRB-2) for the purpose of 'continuing review of a current research project' as well as 'termination of a current research project.' This logic baffles me.

Appropriate, my be the analogy to the courtesy flush. A flush may indicate there is more shit to come, or that the shit is all done.

Moreover, what logically exists in this world as both a signal to continue as a single to stop. Reconcile this one, bitches. In San Antonio, the waitstaff would periodically bring us our check because they were afraid we'd walk out on a giant tab. I guess this says, "Stop, but keep going."

But no means no. Why the fuck should I have to tell them that I'm done. I'm pretty sure people can tell when I'm done.

And, I'm pretty sure there's no one on staff staring at my IRB-1 forms saying, "OMFGWTFBBQ! He better not still be collecting data. Or, if he's done, he better not do any statistical analysis after April 13 unless he completes the IRB-2 and newly updated IRB-1." If this person is on staff, I'd prefer them trying to get stuff approved. But I'd also prefer to tell them to go to hell.

In sum, the question "are you done or you still going?" is a legitimate one, but the answer "yes" (i.e., the IRB-2) is unacceptable to me. Then again, under the list of acceptable things to you is rejecting a form that was "out-of-date" because the newest form has a single change -- a single checkbox was added to indicate if this research is "unfunded" which I'm pretty sure would have fallen under "investigator out-of-pocket."

This message is now terminated. Or continued.

No comments: